Fire...Earth...Water...Air...

Seven years ago, the world came to an end. And a new one began where that one left off. After the Avatar defeated my father, Fire Lord Ozai, my brother Zuko assumed the throne. After near war with the Earth Kingdom and the escape and capture of my Father, things on the surface look calm. But there is a war going on in the shadows. It's time to see once and for all if our nation can be held up to the flame.

Current Posting Dates: August-October
SearchMemberlist

Hello There, Guest! Register

Wanted Canons:
Suki
Iroh
Piandao
Fire Nation Nobility (Ocs. Could use lots of these!)
Earth King Kuei
Kori
Penga

no advertising. play nice.
Important announcement here!! (Everyone!)

Our Button

Affiliates are listed at the bottom of the forum

Mud Puddles and Madness
Tagsopen!
Thread DateJuly 6th

Fire Nation
Non Bender
-
Meg
Mud Puddles and Madness
The sun burned brightly overhead, making the summer warmth of the Fire Nation nearly unbearable. Even in the shade of indoors, the air was still drenched with heat and humidity, causing people to long for the cool that fall and winter could bring.

Even though the day was nearly unbearable, Mai sat at the table, chewing on the meat and rice that made up her noon meal. A steaming cup of tea had been placed before her by a servant, but it had been ignored for now in favor of the food. A bead of sweat formed on the right temple of her forehead, but she didn't wipe at it as she brought the chopsticks to her mouth once more and swallowed.

At last, the woman finished eating and pushed the dishes away from her, continuing to ignore the tea. She stood up, dusted off her clothes and began walking to the entrance of her home as she thanked the servants for the meal and told them that she was going for a walk.

It was only now that Mai paused to dab at the sweat that coated her forehead. A sigh escaped her lips as a frown began to pull at the muscles of her face, but soon enough she was shaking her head and walking out into the day. The woman muttered to herself slightly, her lips rapidly opening and closely, her voice too faint for anyone to hear, as she stuffed the napkin back into a pocket.

Then, as Mai withdrew her hand from the pocket, a woman walking next to her tripped over a fallen fencepost and, in an effort to regain her own footing, used pushed off against Mai's shoulder. Mai recoiled, but the force of the other woman's fall in addition to the recoil caused her to lose her own balance, and soon, she was falling herself. Quick as a viper, she reached out her hands to break her own fall, only to realize...

Before her was a mud puddle. A huge mud puddle.

The woman's face contorted as she realized this, her mouth stretched at odd angles, but it only happened a second or so before she splashed into puddle, soaking her clothes, her hair, and her skin.
08-02-2014, 03:47 PM
.find. .quote.

Fire Nation
Non Bender
-
His Fireness or Naminote
RE: Mud Puddles and Madness
"Go outside - do something"

"There's nothin ta do out there..."

"Go to the pond - go swimming,"

"The water stinks..."

"Go down to the palace - watch the changing of the guards"

"It's too hot..."

That was about when Tom-Tom's nanny had gotten tired of giving him 'suggestions' and decided to spice up HER life - namely with the thrill of picking the bored young boy up and propelling him out the door.

"Go!" she said as she dusted off her apron, "Seek and ye shall find!' as Tom Tom landed with a thump on the back deck, the nanny shouted after him, "Knock and maybe they'll let ya in!" sticking his tongue out at his nanny - Tom Tom quickly retracted his tongue when she turned around, "I'm goin I'm goin!" lazily stumbling down the back deck - Tom Tom made his way around to the front of the house.

Watching carts and horses and nobles milling about outside the fencing, Tom Tom started singing to himself, "Bored... BORING..." flopping down onto the grass, Tom Tom noticed an anthill. His mind deciding that was more interesting than staring at the clouds, Tom Tom began poking at the ant hill with a stick, "There's an invasion of stick people - sound the guards!!" barely noticing as a fat noble woman came up the path that led past their house, Tom Tom was in the middle of planning a battle when he heard a loud shout and a splat.

His head coming up when he heard the splat, Tom Tom's eyes widened when he caught sight of his older sister laying in a HUGE mud puddle, "Mai! How come you get to play in the mud?!" whining as he sat up, Tom Tom failed to notice all the new grass stains he'd just covered the front of his jerkin with, "It's hot out here Mai - can I play in the mud too?"
08-02-2014, 07:41 PM
.find. .quote.

Fire Nation
Non Bender
-
Meg
The thick substance seemed to fill every pore of her skin, soaking into the left half of her clothes and coating the woman's hair. Given the expression of almost abject terror and anger that had taken over Mai's face just before she fell into the puddle, it had been able to give her a great mouthful as well.

For a moment, the disgust overcame the woman, and she blindly struggled, pushing off from the soft ground and encasing her fingers more completely in the squelching mud. At last, she righted herself, sitting at the edge of the great puddle and coughing up large amounts of sludge and bile into the ground near her. The other people had obviously given her a wide berth, unsure of how she would react once regaining her stance.

"Eww."

Her expression contorted once more, stretching at odd angles to form one of the fiercest that Mai had ever summoned. Her eyes darted, looking for the woman who had bumped into her, when a new voice broke the tension in the atmosphere.

Tom-Tom had sat up in the grass nearby to ask if he could play in the mud too. Mai turned her venomous stare in his direction for a moment, as if demanding to know why he thought she had voluntarily entered the puddle, before she slowly closed her eyes, wiped her hands on the clean side of her clothes, and inhaled deeply. It was clear at that moment she'd much rather make use of her knives on the person who had bumped into her, or at least return home to bathe, but it appeared neither of those things would be happening quite so immediately as she wished.

"I-I'm not playing," Mai said slowly, her voice shaking slightly as she looked at her still-dirty hands. She inhaled once more through her nose, coming to a standing position so that she could better see Tom-Tom amongst the grass. The people around her had started to move once more, obviously relieved that she wasn't going to make a scene.

The woman attempted to squeeze out the mud from her hair, but it appeared to be impossible without more water and soap. For a brief moment, she appeared quite near tears, but then she shook her head at herself, nearing her brother with some exasperation.

"What are you doing out here, anyway, Tom-Tom?" Mai queried then, raising an eyebrow as she sat down in the grass next to Tom-Tom. Instead of hugging him as she normally would have, she sat a foot or so away, not eager to dirty him as much as she was already.
08-03-2014, 02:54 PM
.find. .quote.

Fire Nation
Non Bender
-
His Fireness or Naminote
In the span of time it took Mai to get over to him - Tom Tom had changed position about three times. By the time she sat down he was leaning up against the fence post balancing on his head with a bored look on his face, "Nothin - nanny said I have to find something to do but I can't find ANYTHING to do!" it was times like these that the young boy might have actually enjoyed school or something - it wasn't that he wanted to study or learn anything

By the flame NO!

But it would be something to DO!

"It's hot Mai - I hate it when it's hot - I just get BORED... and hot... and hot and bored," flipping off of his head and landing on his knees, Tom Tom said, "I wanna do somethin but there's nothin to do - so I don't wanna do nothin so I just sit here all hot... I wish we lived in the Water tribe - it's always nice and cool there and there are big animals to ride around on," grinning to himself, Tom Tom said, "I wish our messenger hawks were big enough to ride on - right now even THEY'RE too hot though..." looking Mai over as she sat there trying to get the mud out of her hair, Tom Tom grinned and said, "You're REALLY dirty - are you sure I can't get dirty too?"
08-10-2014, 06:50 PM
.find. .quote.

Fire Nation
Non Bender
-
Meg
With much difficulty, Mai attempted to keep her eyes away from her mud-soaked clothes, perhaps hoping that if she weren't focusing on it, she could forget just how dirty she was. From the expression flitting across her mouth every few seconds, however, it was easy to tell that this endeavor wasn't nearly as successful as she'd hoped. Nonetheless, she kept her gaze focused on her brother as he explained just how hot and bored he was.

At his last question, her fingers tightened their grip on the grass, but she said nothing for a long moment. Lines deepened in her face as a frown began to form, but as she stared in her brother's eyes, looking up at her so hopefully, a great sigh escaped from Mai's lips, and her fingers let go of the grass. She raised her eyes to the sky, not quite rolling them, but more as an expression of exasperation, before at last focusing on the bobbing head before her and giving a small nod.

"You... can." The words slid out of her mouth uneasily as she turned to stare at the mud puddle in resignation. For a moment, she fell silent again, but then the following words burst from her lips, unbidden. "Try not to get too dirty, okay?"
08-22-2014, 02:29 PM
.find. .quote.

Fire Nation
Non Bender
-
His Fireness or Naminote
His mouth blossoming into a huge smile, Tom-Tom clapped his hands, "I CAN?! Really?! Oh!" jumping to his feet Tom-Tom was ABOUT to do a dive-bomb into the mud puddle when he noticed how utterly miserable his sister looked and frowned, "But you don't like being dirty! You're all upset - don't be upset Mai! It's fun to be dirty - once you're dirty you don't have to worry about staying clean!" grinning at his sister, Tom-Tom took another look back at the mud puddle and shook his head, "Later, c'mon!"

Grabbing Mai's hand Tom-Tom started to tug on her, "C'mon! C'mon you'll like it! C'mon!" getting Mai to her feet wasn't easy - but it was easier than if she'd been wearing her formal gowns. Shoving/pushing/pulling Mai along the path to the back of their compound, Tom-Tom approached the big old pond in the middle of the yard and pointed at it, "There! In there you can be dirty AND clean!" waving at the turtle-ducks Tom-Tom smiled up at his sister (as if he'd solved ALL her problems) and said, "Oh don't be so grown up! You're not old yet! You gotta have fun!"

On the last word Tom-Tom went flying at his sister and tackled her into the pond. Giggling like a magpie as he came up for air (a lily-pad sitting on his head) Tom-Tom let out a shout when he realized Mai had vanished. Going back under the water Tom-Tom realized he couldn't see her, how had she gotten loose from him so fast? "Mai? Mai?" looking around nervously, Tom-Tom said, "I know you're there! You can't scare me... Mai?"
09-03-2014, 02:08 AM
.find. .quote.