Fire...Earth...Water...Air...

Seven years ago, the world came to an end. And a new one began where that one left off. After the Avatar defeated my father, Fire Lord Ozai, my brother Zuko assumed the throne. After near war with the Earth Kingdom and the escape and capture of my Father, things on the surface look calm. But there is a war going on in the shadows. It's time to see once and for all if our nation can be held up to the flame.

Current Posting Dates: August-October
SearchMemberlist

Hello There, Guest! Register

Wanted Canons:
Suki
Iroh
Piandao
Fire Nation Nobility (Ocs. Could use lots of these!)
Earth King Kuei
Kori
Penga

no advertising. play nice.
Important announcement here!! (Everyone!)

Our Button

Affiliates are listed at the bottom of the forum

Okami Gala- Open Thread 1
TagsAnyone invited to the Gala
Thread DateOctober 30th

Okami Gala- Open Thread 1
((This is a placeholder for the Okami Gala and will be usable to still join in on the Gala when new topics for this forum is turned off. ))
01-31-2013, 01:36 AM
.find. .quote.

Fire Nation
Bender
Fire
Soshi Zhao
Zuko FaceThe Harvest Lights Festival
RE: Okami Gala- Open Thread 1
As parties went, this was... Not unbearable. He did not see anyone from Shosuro, nor any of his normal... Well, in a sense he would be their retinue, the people the young Marquis would often associate himself with, hide from the ambitious and the foolish, hide behind Go boards, polite conversation, observation, and the amassing of wisdom.

That summed up the last Bayushi. In this court? In this battlefield? Quiet. Unassuming. Studious. He only threw his weight behind something when he knew it benefited him, and opposed things that would hurt him. That made him fairly unpopular, he would imagine, as he was simply driven by self-interest, and not in the sense he could be manipulated. Not unless someone knew what he was after.

The white haired Bayushi stared at the board. He was thankful for a small disturbance that had called away his opponent. He was a novice at Pai Sho, and the battle so far... Had gone poorly for him. Soshi would venture he had been rather badly crushed. This is what happens when you accept challenges from old men. They have nothing better to do than practice this archaic bastard of a game until they can routinely whip people like Soshi.

Who had better things to do, like worry about an assassination he was supposed to stop tomorrow.
01-31-2013, 02:01 AM
.find. .quote.

Hikari had not wanted to come but Okami had insisted. He was someone that she respected so insulting him by not coming simply wasn't an option. Still, as often as she interacted with most of the people there she couldn't help but feel somewhat disconnected from them. There were short, polite conversations from time to time but nothing really particularly social. She spent most of her time by the sides watching everyone else.

She had of course brought her clip board with her but under some unknown patron's orders it had been confiscated by the Kyoshi Warriors standing guard. She frowned standing off to the side with a cup of the punch. She caught sight of a white haired man at a Pai Sho table. Tilting her head to the side, she made her way toward him.

"Hello..I'm sorry to bother you but are you planning to start another game?" She had known the rules to Pai Sho for a while but actually playing? She'd never gotten the chance. Maybe there was some point to being here after all.
02-01-2013, 03:52 AM
.find. .quote.

Fire Nation
Bender
Fire
Soshi Zhao
It took Soshi a few seconds to respond, his attention caught in a heated discussion nearby. “I am a more skilled Go player, but if I have an opponent, I will not be so rude as to refuse.” He finally turned to face her, his silver eyes boring into her for a moment. “I swear, I have come across you before. There is a sense of Mai Kai...”*

He shook his head, and smiled. “Perhaps in court. I find such functions painful sometimes, and have to skitter away to hide in back rooms and avoid the scheming of my betters, and those connected to them. My name is Dairu, of the Bayushi Family.” Extending his hand towards her, he intended to lay a gentle kiss on her knuckles. She was rather pretty, in a mousy sort of way. Tiny however, and he felt that if he was to rough, he might break her. The world took all sorts, he supposed, and it was women like this, fair little things, that he had protected in his service.

In retrospect, it gave that hell some point.

* Mai Kai = Deja Vu as best as can be translated
02-01-2013, 10:47 PM
.find. .quote.

Hikari smiled as he mentioned that he recognized her. She was fairly certain she had seen him before as well and not just in one face. She withdrew her hand looking over the board in front of her. She started to sort through her set of tiles in a manner that had once been explained in a book. Having never actually played before, she had no strategies of her own.

"Oh I'm out and about in the palace quite a bit. I suppose you could call me kind of a secretary? I mostly just keep up with the details so my superiors could keep their minds on more important things. Messages, schedules, and sometimes even important personal dates. You probably have just seen me then." She looked down at the board. Her hand came down to trace the lines of the board. "Don't laugh too much at me if I am terrible at this game."
02-03-2013, 01:46 AM
.find. .quote.

Fire Nation
Bender
Fire
Soshi Zhao
“My preferred is Go. But I have found that it is only myself, and the people who rather despise Pai Sho that play.” He canted his head, staring at her hand, watching her movements, with a slightly interested gaze. “You do not need to be nervous, I am rather novice myself. And do not worry about your superiors here. You are here to relax, and enjoy a game of Pai Sho...” He let his voice take on a softer, almost melodic tone, wanting her to relax. “If you allow distractions to overtake you in any task, you will fail from the beginning.” He leaned back, getting a better measure of his new opponent. She had some martial training, but there was also an uneasiness to her. She was not a career soldier, though she had said as much.

“I am pleased I found someone so fair to oppose. I was getting rather bored of having my ass handed to me by old men.” Scratching his chin, he decided to liven this up. “Tell you what. If I win, you need to come with me on a date. If I lose, I am yours for a week, however you fancy.” There was a deeply amused light in his eyes. “I am sure you can find some use for a Soldier turned Noble.”
02-03-2013, 02:54 AM
.find. .quote.

Hikari blushed at his compliment, stacking all of her tokens once again. She looked at the board and tried to make some sort of strategy but now that she was in front of it, she wasn't able to recall any of them. It was silly to have studied so much she supposed.

"I don't mean to be nervous. Giddy I suppose is the word for it? But you have given your terms and I accept them. Don't worry, if I win it won't be too severe. You have the advantage of intimidation when it comes to some of the crankier noblemen. You just have to run their errands." Hikari laughed. She couldn't remember the last time she simply interacted with anyone. "Nobility won't help you much. I'm of a noble house myself. They just tend to believe their own is better."
02-03-2013, 03:12 AM
.find. .quote.

Fire Nation
Bender
Fire
Soshi Zhao
“Better to be noble, than to be in the bottom of the Ocean. My father was not so lucky.” His first move was aggressive, and in fact a tad brash, immediately probing her, trying to push her to the defensive, and maybe even knock her into playing a cautious game. If he could keep the momentum, keep her on the defensive? That would be more than ideal. Of course, it doesn't change the fact both were less than competent. None the less, he kept his eyes focused as much on her, as the board, hoping to make her nerves worse, unsettle her, and maybe even shake her. Dairu's advantage came from psychological play in this game. Much like playing cards, he played his opponent.

“But that is ancient history. Admiral Zhao was many things, but sadly, impulsive was one of them.” He kept a neutral expression, now settling into analyzing his opponent, seeing what he would do. How she would react. Whether he would catch her in his wings, or if he may need to catch her in his beak... "Noble blood is as red as Common on the battlefield."
02-03-2013, 05:22 AM
.find. .quote.

Hikari carefully studied the board after his first move. She could tell that he was trying to be aggressive based on what she had read but she really couldn't tell more about his tactics from there. This one was very to the point. Her expression turned thoughtful as she placed her first piece in a defensive manner.

"Zhao? That's what looks familiar about you. I see it now. I suppose your hair threw it off. I've seen you at functions before from long before I got my current job. I suppose I wasn't entirely very social then. Not very much so now. Don't want to embarrass Father after all." She moved her hand back to her lap not looking up at him but rather staring at the board. Her other hand moved to rest on her stack of tiles. She held it there for a second before moving to rearrange them.
02-03-2013, 12:38 PM
.find. .quote.

Fire Nation
Bender
Fire
Soshi Zhao
Another aggressive move. Another probe, to set her reeling. “I am driving you back. Keeping you on the defensive, and disrupting your focus. You are beautiful, but I am a Soldier. This is a battlefield. Lose focus...” He punctuated it with a finger on his tile, the weight of it making a quiet 'click' noise. “And you die. You were the bookish one, hiding. I was so tempted to go and save you back then, but I was required to play the good son. The loyal retainer. So dreadfully boring. But I am no longer in my father's shadow. You ready to come out of your father's, and join a noble family that has higher aspirations for you, than to want you to simply serve? One that wants you to be close. Your fortunes would rise with my houses. And I would protect you. A Bayushi who fails to protect? He dies.”

His smile was meant to unnerve her if she looked at him. “What do you think. Take an oath of fealty if you beat me?”
02-03-2013, 04:39 PM
.find. .quote.