Fire...Earth...Water...Air...

Seven years ago, the world came to an end. And a new one began where that one left off. After the Avatar defeated my father, Fire Lord Ozai, my brother Zuko assumed the throne. After near war with the Earth Kingdom and the escape and capture of my Father, things on the surface look calm. But there is a war going on in the shadows. It's time to see once and for all if our nation can be held up to the flame.

Current Posting Dates: August-October
SearchMemberlist

Hello There, Guest! Register

Wanted Canons:
Suki
Iroh
Piandao
Fire Nation Nobility (Ocs. Could use lots of these!)
Earth King Kuei
Kori
Penga

no advertising. play nice.
Important announcement here!! (Everyone!)

Our Button

Affiliates are listed at the bottom of the forum

The Unexpected Soldier of Fortune

Fire Nation
Bender
Fire
Kesra
The Harvest Lights Festival
September 20th

Ember stood in the back room of a very busy tavern. There was a special of some kind that drew a rather large crowd. This simply made it easier for her to conduct business. She stood over the drawn diagram and pointed to the platform.

"It would make sense that the Fire Lord would want to invite the Avatar to partake in the ceremonies. After all he is a spiritual leader and this nonsense about spirituality seems to be the point of this damned thing." Ember spoke with authority.

"They'll both be well guarded" A man standing across from her said.

"Then we'll just have to be fast, won't we? The average Fire Nation guard is a complete moron at his best. My team can get in and out with no trouble at all."

"I don't trust it. I'm still going to send in some of my men." The man responded. There was a third, seated, man sitting between them at the table.

"We'll use both of your men. You're still both getting very well paid for this."

"I'd better." Ember muttered. The first man tilted his head to the side.

"I think such a pretty little girl should learn when to hold her tongue." He answered with a grin. Azula looked up to him.

"I think an ugly old man should mind his own business." Ember responded. The man sitting at the table simply laughed.

"There we have it. Now, you'll both get paid when both the Avatar and the Fire Lord are dead. Ember, are you going to have enough men? I'd feel better if you were going in with more than just one."

"I don't need any more than one. We'll do our part."

"At least look for someone? For me?"

Ember looked up to see him smiling. Right. I'm supposed to smile back. She tried, making it rather unnatural looking. The man simply laughed at the effort.

"Fine. I'll look in to hiring one or two more but I prefer smaller teams."

"I trust your judgement, doll." He laughed. The man standing across from her rolled her eyes.

The man looked to her. "So we'll work on our strategies and then meet during the festival?"

"That's the plan." She looked to the man sitting down. "And we're getting paid by dawn?"

"Handsomely."

"Well that's all I needed to hear." Ember stood up straight and rolled up the diagram. "I'll take this. Since I have to brief a new member. Until then, don't look for me." She walked past them out in to the busy inn.
[Image: 28qpzev.jpg]
Art in signature by Kelly1412 Used with permission.

I've been around the world and never in my wildest dreams
Would I come running home to you.
I've told a million lies but now I'll tell a single truth
There's you in everything I do.
Remember when I told you that's the last you'd see of me?
Remember when I broke you down to tears?
I know I took the path that you would never want for me.
I gave you through hell through all these years.
But now I bet my life on you.

11-22-2012, 05:39 AM
.find. .quote.
_Katara

Katara sat in a pub, a clock wrapped tightly around her, pulled over her face as she enjoyed a meal as she intended not to be found, having hoped she would be having dinner with her boyfriend, though he had ended up distracted by the usual ‘Avatar Stuff’, leaving her to find something to eat on her own, the cloak giving her privacy and sense of security.

Though her attention was soon caught when she heard something that sounded a lot like a plan to take down Aang and Zuko.

Her attention peaked when she heard Azula’s voice, causing her to frown, knowing beyond a reasonable doubt that this had to be what she was involved with planning, what she was taking down from the inside to keep Zuko safe. And she was going to force Azula to let her do what she could to help.

She looked around when the conversation ended, pulling herself to her feet as she watched them leaved, rushing over to wrap her hand around Azula’s forearm as she left, keeping the hood over her face as she dragged her in the opposite direction, stopping when she was behind a wall where they wouldn’t be seen or heard, pulling off her hood to look at Azula.

“I want in” she demanded “I just heard that whole conversation, and I want in, I want to help protect Aang” she told her, looking directly into the firebender’s eyes. “I’m a master waterbender and a top notch healer, you can’t say that there isn’t a need for me”
11-22-2012, 04:56 PM
.quote.

Fire Nation
Bender
Fire
Kesra
Azula was looking down to the map when her arm was taken hold of. She blinked a few times, the other hand already generating lighting intended for the one foolish enough to think he could attack her and get away with it. But then her golden eyes met very blue ones. Lightning danced in her other hand. With a sigh, she closed her fist and crushed it, dispersing the energy in to the air. The effect was enough to cause static to either girl's hair.

"Don't sneak up on me like that." Azula glared. "I see your manners haven't improved any. By the way, I'm fine. The wound healed nicely." Her hands came up to push Katara's away. She dusted herself off before looking up to her again.

"What do you mean you want in? You're not exactly what I picture when I look for a hardened mercenary." As much as Azula hated to admit it though, the girl had skills that would come in handy. And while she didn't trust Katara herself, she could trust that she won't harm the Avatar. She brought up her hands in attempt to smooth out her now charged hair.

11-22-2012, 08:01 PM
.find. .quote.
_Katara

Katara frowned a little when Azula told her not to sneak up on her, knowing that the two of them would never truly get along, that their life views were too different to ever truly agree. "Sorry" she apologised "but I wasn't about to yell out to you from across the bar" she reasoned "it might blow your being dead thing"

She couldn't stop herself from smiling a little when Azula assured her that her wound healed nicely, partly because she was glad the girl had been healed, the other part glad that she had something Azula couldn't do. "Of course it did" she said simply "it was healed by one of the best healers there is"

Katara couldn't help but frown a little at Azula's attitude "thanks, ill take that as a compliment" she said, not sure what Azula expected her to say. "You know I'm a better fighter than any of those people, and you know I wouldn't do anything to hurt Zuko or Aang" she reminded her, "and you know I would not only not attack Aang or Zuko, but I would stop others getting to them and hurting them as well. It would be stupid of you not to let me help, and I know you're too smart and know I have too much to offer to refuse me"
11-22-2012, 11:13 PM
.quote.

Fire Nation
Bender
Fire
Kesra
"It's not a matter of skill." Azula sighed, pulling her own hood back up over her head. She walked past Katara and gestured for her to follow. "You lack the demeanor of a mercenary. His hired men will see through you in a second. Somehow, you manage to be prissier than I am. I'm not quite sure how a peasant managed that but congratulations. This is a precise mission. If you're going to come along, you're going to have to be willing to do what I say, when I say it, and without question. My plans are perfect. The last thing I need is for one of the people carrying it out to mess things up."

Azula made her way down the street, ducking under a wooden post being carried to one of the other buildings. She looked back to Katara briefly.

"Also, call me Ember. Though when we are around other mercenaries, it's just best if you not say anything at all. You don't know how to talk to these people and you could say something that will make us draw a lot of attention to yourselves. I'll dismiss you as being very new. Keep your head down and your mouth shut and this might work. You need a name."

11-23-2012, 04:27 AM
.find. .quote.
_Katara

Katara couldn’t help but roll her eyes when Azula told her that it wasn’t a matter of skill that she didn’t look like a mercenary. “Whatever you say Azula” she sighed, knowing that there was no point in even attempting to fight with Azula, frowning a little at Azula’s follow up “Hey, I am not prissy” she disagreed.

She looked around as she followed Azula, wishing that it was cold in the city so she could wear her jacket without sweltering, sick of the heat and lack of snow. “You should know by now that I will do anything I have to in order to keep my friends safe” she reminded her “That means Aang and Zuko, and if you don’t know that much than you’re crazier than I thought” she told her.

She frowned a little but didn’t ask questions at Azula’s request, nodding when she was told not to talk, not wanting to do anything to jeopardize her chance to keep Aang safe, not knowing what she would do if something went wrong.

“Hamma” Katara replied at Azula’s suggetion, her face serious and stone cold, knowing that it was a name that would snap her out of anything, something she could never no be serious when hearing, knowing that she would never be able to forget or be comfortable around the name of the woman who had first forced her to bloodbend, knowing it would remind her how careful she had to be, and how important keeping her friends was to her because, after all, it had been in order to save them she had unlocked her bloodbending.
11-23-2012, 06:00 AM
.quote.

Fire Nation
Bender
Fire
Kesra
The name meant nothing to Azula and seemed as good as any to work with. She continued down the busy streets before turning off in a space that could hardly be considered another street. There were stairs going downward along a narrow path. Stairs Azula took. Removing a key from the sash around her waist, she twisted the last prong and used it to open the door. She used flint and steel to light the lantern within showing a rather small, dark living space. There was a cot set up against the back wall and a single window.

There was a table in the room with two crude chairs. Azula stood on one of the chairs, reaching in to a hidden alcove behind one of the beams supporting the ceiling. She pulled out a leather, waterproofed envelope and set it on the table. She unfolded it revealing assorted messages.

"I'll need to forge some documents for you. I know someone who can do that. You'll have to be briefed with Raven to formulate the plan." Sorting through meticulously collected papers, she pulled out a series of maps. "In the mean time you're going to need to familiarize yourself with the capital."

She handed her one of the maps. "Memorize this one. Explore it. You have time. This will be going on during the Harvest Lights."

11-23-2012, 06:55 AM
.find. .quote.
_Katara

Katara silently followed Azula down what seemed to be a tiny street, though it was too small to let any carriages through, it seemed to be a small worn down alley rather than a street in Katara’s opinion. She watched as Azula let herself in, seeing the lantern she lit, her eyes going wide when she saw the small, dark room with a bed and a small table with two battered chairs.

“Is this where you’ve been living?” Katara asked in disbelief, her eyes wide when she looked around, watching as Azula stood on one of the chairs to pull out a leather envelope, still unable to believe the room. “Azula... you can’t live here” she tried to tell her “If you just asked Zuko he would give you what you needed to find somewhere modest but nice” she insisted “This can’t be safe”

She frowned slightly as she took a seat “Forged documents?” she muttered to herself “Sounds legal, Aang will be so proud” she muttered under her breath quiet enough that Azula wouldn’t hear her, knowing that she would have to do things she didn’t want to in order to keep Aang safe.

she nodded and took the map Azula handed her, looking down at it as she listened to the timeline, looking at all the tiny streets and how they intertwined on the map.

“That’s when they’re going to try to attack Aang and Zuko?” she asked with a furrowed brow “I hate to ask, but why don’t we just tell them not to go?”
11-24-2012, 05:47 AM
.quote.

Fire Nation
Bender
Fire
Kesra
"Live? No. I don't technically live anywhere. I don't stay anywhere long enough. This is one of many arrangements I've made to have a place to sleep when I am around. There are other places, much like this one, in parts all over the three nations." Azula continued to sort through the papers before finding the original message. She didn't care much for the idea of asking Zuko for any help in this sort of thing. She would rather live in the streets.

"The documents forged will be your pass in to the portion of the royal city we need to get to. The area that has the Fire Lord and Avatar will be restricted. I'm going to need to figure out a reason as to why we must be there. That will require waiting until we are closer to the festival to figure out however. No matter. It will be done." Azula looked up to her as she suggested they tell Aang and Zuko not to go.

"That wouldn't benefit either of them. It won't stop these people from trying to kill either of them but rather delay their attempt. Furthermore, I won't be hired for the next attempt because this one will be considered a failure. It will suggest that information was leaked that didn't need to be and that I am not reliable. Others that aren't trying to protect either of them will get the job.

"We will have no indication of their next attempt or who they will employ to do it. With the attempt being so public, the one hiring me is quite apparently intending to make a public statement in regards to either of them. What that is...I don't know. I'm not even sure who's hiring me. The point is the ones trying to commit the crime will be stopped while they are trying to commit it. No Avatar and Fire Lord and they'll just do it another day.

"It has to be this attempt. There will be hundreds of witnesses and Zuko and the Avatar aren't really in a lot of danger. Along with their own skills, they will have the three of us protecting them. Three allies the rest of them don't suspect."

11-24-2012, 04:55 PM
.find. .quote.
_Katara

Katara couldn’t help but feel bad for Azula, knowing that it couldn’t be comfortable for her to be living where she was, even though she refused to call it where she lived. “You do know that if you asked Zuko he would let you stay in the palace, don’t you?” she asked with a small frown, having no idea how she could stand what looked like a very damp, dark and uncomfortable bed.

Katara nodded at the plan, still studying the map Azula had handed her. “I guess I have to sneak in with the rest of you, just going in with Aang would be a stupid idea?” she asked for confirmation, knowing that she was going to be told that it would be a stupid idea, that it would give away her true identity and that they wouldn’t be trusted, but she couldn’t think what she was going to tell Aang so he wouldn’t be suspicious that she wasn’t going to attend the festival with him.

Katara nodded at Azula’s explanation, knowing it would be a stupid, though she couldn’t help but feel uneasy about the forged documents, about having to lie to Aang and Zuko to keep them safe.

“Thank you Azula” she thanked her, taking a deep breath as she forced a smile onto her face “I guess all the lying just makes me feel uncomfortable, no matter how necessary it is to keep Aang and Zuko safe.”
11-30-2012, 12:15 AM
.quote.